Monday, September 8, 2014

Polenta W I T H W I L D M U S H R O O M S , H A Z E L N U T S , A N D F I G S

Polenta
W I T H W I L D M U S H R O O M S , H A Z E L N U T S , A N D F I G S



Wild mushrooms, hazelnuts, figs, and thyme all make me think of the Pacific
Northwest, so I came up with this dish to showcase the earthy flavors of an
Oregon forest. The black currant dressing makes for a snazzy presentation
that’s guaranteed to impress. While the preparation may seem a bit elaborate,
this dish is well worth the effort. And if you like, you can prepare the polenta
and lentils in advance.


FIGS
4 dried black Mission figs, stemmed
1 cup black currant juice or 100%
pomegranate juice
BLACK CURRANT DRESSING
Reserved black currant juice
(from the figs)
11/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
Juice of 1/2 lime
2 teaspoons minced shallot
1 tablespoon crème de cassis
1 tablespoon red wine
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup hazelnut oil
Salt
Freshly ground pepper
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil,
plus more for oiling the pan and
brushing
9 cups water
Salt
2 cups polenta
1 cup French green lentils, rinsed
and drained
Freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons chopped shallot
10 ounces mixed wild mushrooms
(such as oyster, chanterelle, and
stemmed shiitake), thinly sliced
2 tablespoons hazelnuts, toasted and
skinned (see Tip, page 203) and
finely chopped
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
Baby lettuce, arugula, or microgreens
for garnish

No comments:

Post a Comment